KEVYN AUCOIN'S SCULPTING POWDER | AN HONEST REVIEW / SEPTEMBER SEVENTH

Sifting through the plethora of products marketed as contour powders/creams has been laborious, given that almost every single one of them ...

Sifting through the plethora of products marketed as contour powders/creams has been laborious, given that almost every single one of them has been too orange-toned for my liking. The fine line between a bronzer, which mimics the effects of the sun, and a contouring product, which is supposed to act like a shadow on the skin, is usually blurred. However, I'm quite impressed with the shade of Kevyn Aucoin's cult favourite, which supposedly took three years to perfect. It's a very cool, ashy powder with undertones of purple, grey and blue, with not a hint of the red/yellow undertone that bronzers favour.






I finally bit the bullet and popped this in my online Beautybay basket. The price tag is eye-watering considering the size; I think for 34 GBP you should be getting a little more than the size of a single eyeshadow pan, and its a very shallow, slim product. Since buying it, I've actually only used it a handful of times which is a shame as I was hoping I could whip it out every day to fake killer cheekbones- unfortunately I find it quite harsh and unforgiving. Maybe I need time to nail the application or maybe its my brush selection, which isn't all that great. So far, I've used a NARS Ita Kabuki brush dupe from eBay, MAC's I28 Split Fibre Cheek brush, and a Real Techniques duo. The Real Techniques serve me best, which is odd, given that I'm applying the powder with their slanted FOUNDATION BRUSH, and blending out with their  SCULPTING BRUSH

 That being said, I find Kevyn Aucoin's sculpting powder quite tricky to blend and more often than not I'm left with an unnatural, severe line, no matter what brush I've used. The only way I can make it work for me is by applying bronzer over the top using the sculpting brush and even then I tend to reach for this sculpting powder almost exclusively for nights out. The carved and chiselled cheekbones you can achieve with this powder don't make for a  very wearable, everyday look and the blending process is too time-consuming every morning, even for someone who takes an upwards of an hour to apply makeup. 

As you can see, the packaging is gorgeous. The powder itself sits in a beautifully sleek, compact pan with a magnetic closing with gold detailing and an almost ombré effect on the lid. It comes in a gold box with a velvet pouch embossed with Kevyn Aucoin's name, which is a really nice touch and makes the product feel a little more luxe. 







`
Overall, while the colour is pretty spot-on, I find the texture a bit drying and hard to blend and it takes a while to get a natural-looking finish. Perhaps this shade is too dark for me, or maybe there's a learning curve or a perfect brush out there that will work like a dream to apply but at the moment, I'm slightly disappointed. I also can't ignore the price; as you can see from the above picture, the size in comparison to a 2 pence is pretty paltry for 34 pounds.  You can buy it HERE.

I'll keep you posted on whether or not I start to like this contouring powder a bit more. I hope you've all got a fun week ahead, are you going back to school or college or anything? I personally have finished my stint as an au pair and am back in France where my parents live. However, next week I am officially staring Uni! So exciting! If you've written any posts on stationery or room decor or back to school tips please leave a comment below!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

instagram @ tia.katarina

disqus 2016

Powered by Blogger.

Flickr Images

Instagram